The Sweetie Chronicles

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

Six Flags

When I was younger, I used to get so excited about going to Six Flags. I usually got to go with our band and chorus at school every year. The first time I went was actually with the high school band one year that my sister was going. I don't remember why I got to go exactly, but it seems like maybe our Mom was a chaperone. I felt so cool at the back of the bus with all the popular kids. (my sister was always more popular in school than I was) And I definitely remember hardly being able to sleep the night before from excitement.

Later, in middle school, I got to go with the chorus and I remember staying up late at a sleepover the night before looking at the map of the park a thousand times and talking about what rides we were going to go on first. The funny thing about it was that I probably never got a good night's sleep the night before a Six Flags trip. We always left at the crack of dawn and got on a school bus for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, spent the entire day in the hot sun, running around, walking all over the place, and then 3 hours back that night when the park closed, which was probably at least 8 or 9 at night. How in the hell did I have that much energy after not sleeping? I wish I could call that energy forth right now, damn.

For me, this whole week is like a Six Flags night in some ways. With my first RWA National conference only a week away, I can't stop thinking about my pitch, my novels, my outfits, and asking myself questions like: Will I meet new people? Will I learn a lot? Am I going to fit in? Is there going to be as much networking as I am hoping for? and so on. But at the same time, just like with Six Flags, I know that in order to get the most of it, I really should get some sleep. From what my other people have told me, the conference ends up being a whirlwind of activity that starts every day at 7 or 8 and doesn't end until about midnight. Even though I stay up late now, I certainly am never up by 7 (or even 8 really), and I'm not in a constant state of activity all day for more than 12 hours at a time. This conference is going to be exhausting! But amazing at the same time, hopefully.

If last night was any indication, however, this is going to be a rough week. I had nightmares and tossed and turned all night long. Maybe a key difference I hadn't considered before between those years when I used to get excited about Six Flags and now, is that now I can just pop in a few drugs like Tylenol PM and force myself into a good night's sleep. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

0 comments:

Sarra Cannon

Young Adult Indie Author

I always secretly wanted to be a cheerleader. And a witch. Now, I write about both. The first five novels in my Peachville High Demons Young Adult Paranormal series are available now in ebook!
Follow sarramaria on Twitter

Sarra's Works in Progress

Followers

Sarra's bookshelf: sarra-s-favorites

Beautiful DemonsThe Time Traveler's WifeLoveroot: PoemsFear of FlyingWe the LivingAnthem

More of Sarra's books »
Sarra Cannon's sarra-s-favorites book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists